For loyal Apple users, you must have heard of Sidecar. So what is Apple Sidecar? How to use? And which Mac and iPad models will support this feature? Let's find out through today's article!
What is Apple Sidecar meaning?
Apple Sidecar is an impressive new launch feature of macOS and iPadOS 13. With this feature, users will be able to extend the screen of their Mac to iPad devices. At this time, the iPad will act as a separate screen for more intuitive viewing and multi-tasking.
In fact, there have been many solutions in the past that allow connecting iPads to Macs. However, this requires users to use intermediate equipment with cumbersome and complicated connection wires. Meanwhile, Apple Sidecar uses wireless connection operation, is compact and has almost zero latency.
Advantages of Apple Sidecar
- Easy connection: Using a wireless connection, Apple Sidecar allows users to connect iPad to MacBook easily, with just a few mouse clicks. In case the connection is unstable, users can still use a USB Type-C cable or a Lightning cable.
- Expand the workspace on Mac: Turning the iPad into a second screen will help the workspace on Mac become larger. As a result, users can view data more easily, optimizing work productivity.
- Become an electronic drawing board: Apple Sidecar is an extremely useful feature for those who work in graphic design, architecture, fashion,... Because they can now turn iPad into an electronic drawing board. and freely edit as you like with the Apple Pencil.
Which devices and applications support Apple SideCar?
Apple Sidecar-enabled devices
- MacBook Pro 2016 or later
- MacBook Air 2018 or later
- Macbook 2016 or later
- iMac 2017 or later
- iMac Pro
Mac mini 2018 or later
Mac Pro 2019
- All iPad Pro models
- iPad 6 or later
- iPad mini 5 or later
- iPad Air 3 or later
Apple Sidecar Supported Apps:
Apple Sidecar is now supported on most apps including
- Adobe Illustrator
- Affinity Designer
- Affinity Photo
- Cinema 4D
- DaVinci Resolve
- Final Cut Pro
- Substance Designer
- Substance Painter
Some other requirements to use Sidecar
- Share Apple ID: To be able to use Sidecar, users must first make sure that the devices are signed in to the same Apple ID account equipped with two-step security.
- Within 10m: Because it is a wireless connection, when using Sidecar, your devices must be within a radius of 10m. This will help ensure a more stable and easy connection.
- WiFi, Bluetooth, and Handoff are all on: One of the keys to a successful Sidecar feature is making sure your devices have WiFi, Bluetooth, and Handoff turned on.
- Set up a trusted device on iPad (USB connection): If you want to use Sidecar via USB, make sure your iPad is allowed to connect to your Mac as a trusted device (Trusted this Device).
How to use Apple Sidecar
macOS Big Sur version or higher
Click the Control Center icon > Click Display > Select the iPad you want to connect.
macOS Catalina version
- Method 1: Click the AirPlay icon on the Menu bar > Select iPad device.
- Method 2: If you do not see the icon of Airplay, perform the following steps:
Step 1: Select Apple menu > Click System Preferences.
Step 2: Select the Displays icon > Click Display > Click the checkmark Show mirroring options in the menu bar when available.
If you want to turn off the connection, go to the active iPad icon on the Menu bar.
The above article provides information about the Apple Sidecar concept as well as instructions on how to use the above feature effectively. Moreover, it also introduces some Mac and iPad lines that support the above feature. Hope it helps you!
Relate search sidecar not working big sur, use ipad as second monitor without sidecar, sidecar compatibility, sidecar device timed out, sidecar app, mirror ipad to macbook, sidecar ipad, how to connect ipad to macbook wirelessly, sidecar not working big sur, sidecar ipad, ipad air 2 sidecar, sidecar compatibility, sidecar device timed out, how to use sidecar